Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Content is the King of Klout

Bad news for the Beliebers: Justin Bieber is no longer the king of Klout. The once-reigning master of social media influence now boasts a Klout score of only 93.

Climbing the ranks in his absence are major news publications, including the Washington Post, the Wall Street Journal, TIME Magazine, the Guardian, the Independent, the Los Angeles Times, and the focus of this blog post, the New York Times, each with a respective Klout score of 99.

via niemanlab.org
With 15.6 million Twitter followers and arguably the strongest reputation in print journalism, it is not surprising that the New York Times scores so highly in social influence points. The nature of Twitter also lends itself to the Times' success in the social media sphere. "Breaking news is Twitter's bread and butter" (Stadd, 2014). In this social media age, more and more people are getting their news directly from Twitter as opposed to traditional television news or print newspapers. The New York Times' commitment to accuracy, even on social media, makes it a standout social media influencer.

It is important that the newspaper's content is accurate, as its high level of audience engagement gives its content a longer shelf life. Research by Klout showed that "among influencers with a Klout score above 75, their content 'lasts' on Twitter (through retweets) up to 70 times longer than that of people with a score between 30 and 70" (Schaefer, 2012, p. 132). This data confirms that "those with the most impactful presence on the social web create content that continues to move virally through their networks and beyond" (Schaefer, 2012, p. 132).

What gives the New York Times such a powerful and influential social media identity? Its content. Mark W. Schaefer refers to content as "the seventh weapon of influence," and "the currency of the social web" (Schaefer, 2012). As a longtime print publication, of course the organization produces content, but it is how well the Times has translated its content onto the social web that has made the organization thrive as a social media mogul. Through its Twitter feed alone, the New York Times has shared over 171,000 tweets and over 4,900 photos and videos. When the content is worth sharing, people will share it, so by maintaining an emphasis on timely, accurate, and reputable reporting, the New York Times has been able to capitalize socially on its content.

From a business perspective, the New York Times' social influence and engagement rate must be helping to fuel its digital subscriptions. The company only allows you to read 10 online articles for free per month before having to pay for a digital subscription to access more content. By teasing its audience with interesting headlines on social media, the Times can turn avid readers into profitable subscribers.

Personally, I do not carry nearly as much Klout as the New York Times. I found that my own Klout score is 35.27. This score was actually higher than I had expected, as I do not find myself tweeting as regularly as I could be considering how often I consume content on social media. There is still plenty of room for improvement with my Klout score, though, and I will work to use Twitter as a vehicle for improving my own social influence.

References:
Schaefer, M. (2012). Return on influence. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Stadd, A. (2014, January 7). Lessons from the New York Times' social media desk. Adweek. Retrieved from http://www.adweek.com/socialtimes/new-york-times-social-media-desk/495267

11 comments:

  1. Hi Brenna-

    Nice post, I really enjoyed reading more about Klout and how more and more news publications are climbing the ranks. I actually just learned about Klout this semester and am now obsessed with it! My Klout score is horrible but I manage my works Twitter and we are at a 57, so not awful.

    I follow the NY Times and NY Times Travel on Twitter and they definitely have some awesome catchy headings. Those free 10 online articles go by pretty fast!

    Good luck on your Klout score :)

    -Kara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Kara. I had heard about Klout through managing social media at work but I never gave it much weight. It is a bit addictive once you get set up and going though!

      Delete
  2. Great content! I was gearing up to start working on a post to my blog utilizing the Washington Post as an example when I saw your post go up! I quickly switched gears and I'm so glad I did. You covered this so well. I get all of my news from Twitter and Facebook (in a small town, news travels faster on Facebook than watching the news stations - we have 3). I get all of my health care news from Twitter and follow several industry journals to keep up with what's trending in IMC.

    If you started at a score of 35, I have no doubt you will be at 75 and mastering influence in no time! From what I've seen in this course, you provide great content all of the time. I have been lucky to be in your group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mandy! Sorry I beat you to the newspaper punch, but baseball is more exciting anyway. :) I'm quickly learning how fickle Klout can be. I engaged with Nordstrom on Twitter last night and climbed up to a 44! I'm sure I will lose this as fast as I gained it but it certainly gives me hope for growth! I got my first Klout perk today, a year subscription to Red Bull's magazine. I'm not interested in it but it's cool that those things are really real!

      Delete
    2. That was mine too! (The Red Bull mag.) I didn't take it either, but I'm waiting for one that will be more in tune with my liking. :) Very good about the new Klout score. My new pass time -- once I finish school in August -- may be to see how high I can get my score. It's probably a lot more lucrative than words with friends! LOL

      Delete
  3. Great post Brenna. I totally get why The New York Times would have Klout score of 99 and I'm glad to see that a thought provoking and well-respected newspaper has my influence than Justin Bieber. I'm not sure a lot of people can compete with a team of well-educated journalists when it comes to being influential. You also bring up a great point about how The New York Times uses social media to draw in more paying subscribers. I'm curious if organizations like The New York Times that have an incredibly high Klout score will wear that as a badge of honor and publicize it or do they even care?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Russ,
      That's a good question. I would think that the New York Times is aware of how influential it is on social media and takes pride in it, but I doubt they would publicize something like a Klout score that so many readers would not recognize. Another thing that's interesting, speaking of your mention of the paper being made up of a team of journalists, is that the New York Times' main Twitter handle does not engage with any readers. It posts original content as well as retweets content from individual journalists. The paper encourages each journalist to have their own social media presence representing the paper, and the main handle acts as a hub of all information. I think this is a great way for the paper to keep its identity but give it a personal feel, having content come directly from the journalists reporting it.

      Delete
  4. Hi Brenna,

    I loved reading your post this week! I guess when you think about it, it would actually make sense that a news publication would have a high Klout score, given their organization's goals are all around delivering news to people as quickly and accurately as possible. I was actually quite surprised to see that The New York Times had a score of 99 out of a possible 100. But then again, it is one of the oldest and most established news outlets in the US and definitely has the trust of the American people. Plus when delivering news like The Times delivers, it's definitely news that has the power to influence other news outlets, companies, and people alike.

    Great post this week!
    Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Allie. I wasn't expecting the Times to have such a high score either. Looking for inspiration for the post, I looked at my own Twitter feed and the NYT had just tweeted, so I checked their Klout score out of curiosity. I'm very glad I did as it was a very interesting company to write about this week!

      Delete
  5. Hi Brenna,

    You make a great point about the New York Times' social media influence being able to bring in more paying subscribers. As you said, there are more and more people getting their news straight from Twitter these days, so, if consumers are looking for more depth to any given news story, and not just 140-characters, they will have to pay for a digital subscription. Twitter has become a great way for the Times to bait more readers, and with circulation of actual newspapers in great decline, I'm sure it is sorely needed.

    As for the Times' Klout score, and the other major news outlets you mention, I feel as though anything less than a 99 would be unacceptable. Each one of these major news organizations has its own team of journalists, photographers, and marketers. The content that all of these professionals provide should be much more than enough to garner the high Klout scores that they do. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Jeff. I agree that if any of these major publications had a lower Klout score it would reflect poorly on the entire organization, on social media and beyond. These types of businesses now thrive on their content being shareable, so I think Klout is a great way for these organizations to get a quick overview of their social influence and make sure everything is in order on their social channels.

      Delete